How does Ceph deal with OSDs that have been away for a while?

I'm wondering how Ceph deals with OSDs that have been away for a while.
Do they need to be completely rebuilt, or does it know which objects are
good and which need to go?

I know Ceph handles well the situation of an OSD going away, and
rebalances etc to maintain the required redundancy levels. But I'm
unsure what it does when an OSD comes back some time later still
containing data.

Tim.

--
Tim Bishop