Re: booting from a CEPH rbd or CEPH filesystem

I'll have to look at the iscsi and zfs initramfs hooks, and see if I can model it most concisely on what they currently do.  Between the two, I should be able to hack something up.

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 9:46 PM, Stuart Longland <stuartl@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 28/01/14 15:29, Schlacta, Christ wrote:
> iPXE supports loading a kernel and an initrd from https.
> http://lists.ipxe.org/pipermail/ipxe-devel/2012-May/001465.html
> The part I have 0 experience with, and wouldn't know where to start is
> with modifying hooks for initramfs. I am hoping someone has most of this
> hashed out already.
>
> Coincidentally, since ceph can export files over http, and I'm guessing
> over https, it should be fairly simple to simply mount /boot over cephfs
> and also have it exported via https for the boot process.

Not sure of the full details, but the way I'd approach this would be:

- Build a ramdisk with busybox, libc, Ceph's `rbd` tool, and any other
needed libraries, kernel modules, etc.

- Create a shell script /linuxrc with something like the following:

#!/bin/sh

# modprobe any drivers you need here; rbd, etc

# Bring up your network interface; pick up DNS settings, etc
udhcpc eth0

# Map the rbd device
rbd map pool/rbd-name

# Tell mdev to generate the /dev node
mdev -s

# Now try mounting the device
mount /dev/rbd0 /initrd -o ... # mount options here

# The following is from the pivot_root manpage:
pivot_root . /initrd
exec chroot . sh -c 'umount /initrd; exec /sbin/init' \
         <dev/console >dev/console 2>&1

- Optional: symlink /linuxrc to /init; for initramfs compatibility
- Package up your initrd, then cross your fingers.

I have no idea if the above will work, but that'd be my approach.

Regards,
--
Stuart Longland
Systems Engineer