booting from a CEPH rbd or CEPH filesystem

Has anyone done the work to boot a machine (physical or virtual) from a CEPH filesystem or RBD?

I'm very interested in this, as I have several systems that don't need a LOT of disk throughput and have PLENTY of network bandwidth unused, making them primary candidates for such a setup.  I thought about passing the RBDs through iscsi, since it's a slightly better documented protocol for booting, but that would either require the complexities of multipath, or would introduce an inconvenient single point of failure to the system.  Part of the idea is that RBDs will still be available if one or more members of the cluster goes down.  iscsi doesn't provide that.

I found a guide for booting from rbds on XEN domu on gentoo, but it was very vague as to what configuration actually needed to be done, and just sorta said it would work.  In the light of the lack of information, I worry 1) that the configuration is XEN specific, and depends on the shared kernel, 2) that the configuration is Gentoo or even site specific, as I didn't explore the site too well.  Here's the article: http://www.mad-hacking.net/documentation/linux/ha-cluster/storage-area-network/ceph-xen-domu.xml

Also, I'm using primarily Debian on the server side, and ubuntu for these satellite systems, if that in any way effects your knowledge or my abilities