Usually Offline OSDi

can ceph handle a configuration where a custer node is not "always on", but rather gets booted periodically to sync to the cluster, and is also sometimes up full time as demand requires?  I ask because I want to put an OSD on each of my cluster nodes, but some cluster nodes only come up as demand dictates, but are offline most of the time.  It would be a trivial matter to have them cycle on once or twice a day for the purposes of syncing ceph, then shut down again if unneeded, but running them full time when there's simply no demand would be wasteful.

dmick on IRC says he can't imagine ceph handling it cleanly, but I was hoping someone here might have some more knowledge or experience to help guide me.