Re: Ceph / Dell hardware recommendation

On 1/15/14, 1:35 PM, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:

>> Yes, it's inside the box.
>>
>> I ask the question because of the derek message:
>>
>> " They currently give me a hard time about trying to mix and
>> match SSDs though on the 12 bay back-plane which is not a
>> technical problem but a Dell problem
>
> At a guess, Dell BIOS complains that the drives/configuration "is
> not supported, contact your Dell representative for replacement.
> Press F1 to boot".

We have mixed SSD SAS and normal SAS connected to LSI adapters in a
bunch of other vendors (Supermicro, etc..).  The problem I have run
into is that Dell will not quote me this configuration.  We have run
with a mixture of these drives by adding SSD SAS drives into a chassis
with nearline SAS before but they were not shipped by Dell in that
configuration.  So I think this is more a configuration Dell has been
unwilling to sell is all.

Thanks,
derek

--