Re: RBD pool disaster recovery backup...

On 01/11/2014 01:15 AM, Xavier Trilla wrote:
Hi,

We have been playing for a while with Ceph (We want to use it as
OpenStack storage backend) and I have to say that is a really nice piece
of software :)

We are still on a design stage, but we plan to use it combined with
Infiniband, SSDs  for caching and some other cool stuff. I will post
more details once we setup the first production deployment.

But we are still having issues finding the best way to have an off-site
backup for disaster recovery purposes.

So far what seems to make more sense is to use differential snapshots to
transfer backups off-site (Building an script based on:
http://ceph.com/dev-notes/incremental-snapshots-with-rbd/).

Our idea is to keep 4 incremental copies per month (1 per week) to a
different location (bandwith is not a big issue as we will have a rented
fiber that we will “illuminate” our-selves.).

So, if we decide to go for the previously stated solution we would keep
1 snapshot per VM during the whole week, dumping the differences and
rotating the snapshots every week.

Well, that seems to be a nice idea, but we found a couple of issues
which prevent it from being the perfect solution:

-What if a user builds a volume combining two or more RBD volumes with
f.e. linux device mapper inside a VM? If we use the method stated before
the volumes backup up to the DS copy would be out of sync.

-OpenStack doesn’t like you playing directly with RBD volumes. If you
create a snapshot directly on ceph, OpenStack will not be aware of it,
and f.e. volume delete volume operations will fail. And as for diff
snapshots to work we would need to keep at least one snapshot always,
delete operations would always fail).

Obviusly we found some solutions to these issues, I mean, for example we
could modify OpenStack Cinder driver so it would remove all image
snapshots before deleting the volume. But even if we do that, if
OpenStack tries to delete a volumen while we are dumping the snapshot
differences the volume delete operation will fail l, as the snapshots
would be in use. Or to avoid data desincronitzation for data striped
across several volumes, we could create all the snapshots first and then
dump the differences, so the snapshots would be done almost at the same
time, so data striped across volumes would be almost sincronized, but
it’s not an ideal solution.

So, as  these solutions are not ideal solutions, we have been checking
other options like:

-Pool Snapshots: Doesn’t seem like much can be done with them, I mean,
as far as I’ve seen the only option is to retrieve or store RADOS
objects from pool snapshots. So doesn’t seem to be a way to dump the
whole pool to another Ceph Cluster, or even if it could be done (Maybe
copying all the objects from one pool to the other) I don’t know if it
would work well with RBD pools.

-Geo-Replication: I still need to upgrade our test cluster to play with
this, but as far as I understood Geo-Replication is just for RADOSGW
pools, so no way to use it for RBD pools.

That is RGW only. That replication happens inside the RGW, not on RADOS level.

But they don’t seem to work as we would like… So, does anybody have any
interesting idea we could use? Or is there any super amazing new feature
coming soon for this? (We don’t need to be production ready till 1st of
september…)

The idea which still plays is to have a async pool replication option. I don't know where it currently stands, but it would be a option where the Ceph clusters use their pool snapshots to do a async replication of a pool to a second cluster.

The second cluster in this case could even be running with erasure coding instead of replication saving you a lof of space there.

Again, I don't know where that feature currently stands.

Any help would be certainly apreciated :)

Thanks!

Saludos cordiales,

Xavier Trilla P.

Silicon Hosting <https://siliconhosting.com/>

¿Todavía no conoces Bare Metal Cloud?

¡La evolución de los Servidores VPS ya ha llegado!

más información en: siliconhosting.com/cloud
<https://siliconhosting.com/cloud>

Wido den Hollander
42on B.V.

Phone: +31 (0)20 700 9902