Re: RBD kernel driver deadlock with emperor

I had the same issue a couple of days ago. I fixed it by applying pending patches at https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/sage/ceph-client.git/?h=for-stable-3.10.24

According to recent mails, they should be included in next maintenance linux release 3.10.26

On 01/09/14 17:44, Stephen Taylor wrote:
I’ve recently run into an issue with the RBD kernel client in emperor
where I’m mapping and formatting an image, then repeatedly mounting it,
writing data to it, unmounting it, and snapshotting it. Nearly every
time (with only one exception so far), the driver appears to deadlock
after the eighth snapshot and the device becomes completely unresponsive
until I reboot. The one exception deadlocked after the ninth snapshot. I
have reproduced this with and without partitions on the device, using
NTFS, ext4, and xfs as the filesystem, and using a variety of
applications to write files to the device.

I had been running similar tests previously on a dumpling system without
issues, so I’m wondering if anyone has seen anything like this with
emperor. There are other variables, so I’m not 100% sure it’s an emperor
issue, but that appears to be the case from what I have seen.

I see there is an open issue #1769 where the kernel client can deadlock,
but in my case the kernel client is a server machine with 8GB of memory,
and memory utilization is not anywhere near capacity, so I don’t think
it’s the same issue.

Performing the same set of operations via librbd (not using the kernel
client) doesn’t seem to exhibit the deadlock.

Any ideas?

Steve

*Stephen Taylor *| Senior Software Engineer | *StorageCraft Technology
Corporation* <http://www.storagecraft.com>
11850 Election Road Suite 100 | Draper | Utah | 84020
*Office: *801.871.2799 | *Fax: *801.545.4705
If you are not the intended recipient of this message, be advised that
any dissemination or copying of this message is prohibited.
If you received this message erroneously, please notify the sender and
delete it, together with any attachments.

Jean-Tiare, team Mutu