Re: Ceph New Cluster Configuration Recommendations

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 11:46 AM, German Anders <ganders@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  Hi to All,
>
>       I'm new to the Ceph community. I've found some used hardware on our
> datacenter and i want to create a new Ceph cluster, a little bit more
> powerful (i know that the disks are not good at all, each node has 10 x 72GB
> SAS disks and 2 x 500GB SATA disks (that's not to much space), but this is
> for testing the solution. The hardware is the following:
>
> OS Running: Ubuntu 12.10 Server 64 bits (on 2 x 140GB w/RAID-1)
>
> ceph-node01(mon)        10.77.0.101    ProLiant BL460c G7    32GB    8 x 2
> Ghz
> ceph-node02(mon)        10.77.0.102    ProLiant BL460c G7    64GB    8 x 2
> Ghz
> ceph-node03(mon)        10.77.0.103    ProLiant BL460c G6    32GB    8 x 2
> Ghz
> ceph-node04                  10.77.0.104    ProLiant BL460c G7    32GB    8
> x 2 Ghz
> ceph-node05(deploy)    10.77.0.105    ProLiant BL460c G6    32GB    8 x 2
> Ghz
>
> All the Blades are inside of the same enclosure so the connectivity is going
> to be through the same SW (one cable) of 1Gb, i know that this is NOT good
> at all but again is for testing, and is what we got for the moment.
>
> Could someone give me some hints on configured this hardware the Best
> possible way? i mean where to put the Journals, how many OSD's per node, i
> thought to use 2 x Journal disks in a 1:5 relation, so 1 journal for 5
> OSD's. Is going to be better to use 2 x 72GB SAS disks as the Journals
> right?, any other recommendations? Also when running the "ceph-deploy new"
> command to create the cluster how can i specify the name of the cluster?

ceph-deploy takes a few "global" arguments, one of them being the
cluster name (see `ceph-deploy --help`).

Keep in mind that because it is a global flag, all subsequent commands
will need to have that flag passed in. This is
basically because the naming conventions will accommodate the name of
the cluster, which will default to "ceph" if
not specified.