Re: Impact of fancy striping

Hi James, Robert, Craig,

Thank your for those informative answers! You all pointed out interesting issues.

I know losing 1 SAS disk in RAID0 means losing all journals, but this is for testing so I do not care.

I do not think sequential write speed to the RAID0 array is the bottleneck (I benchmarked it at more than 500MB/s). However, I failed to realize that the synchronous writes of several OSDs would become random instead of sequential, thank you for explaining that.

I want to try this setup with several journals on a single partition (to mitigate seek time), and I also want to try replacing my 9 OSDs (per node) by a big RAID0 array of 9 disks — leaving replication to Ceph. But first I wanted to get an idea of SSD performance, so I created a 1GB RAMdisk for every OSD journal.

Shockingly, even with every journal on a dedicated RAMdisk, I still witnessed less than 100MB/s sequential writes with 4MB blocks. This is writing to an RBD image, independently of the format, the size, the striping pattern, or whether the image is mounted (with XFS on it) or directly accessed.

So, maybe my journal setup is not satisfying, but the bottleneck seems to be somewhere else. Any idea at all about striping? Or maybe pool/PG config? (I blindly followed the PG ratios indicated in the docs).

Thank you all for your help. Best regards,

Nicolas Canceill
Scalable Storage Systems
SURFsara (Amsterdam, NL)