Re: Ceph under Ubuntu 14.04, what's still on the TODO?

On 12/11/2013 06:42 PM, James Page wrote:

Hi Wido

On 11/12/13 13:31, Wido den Hollander wrote:
I was looking at the packages for Ceph under Ubuntu 14.04 LTSand I
noticed that currently Ceph 0.72 (Emperor) is packaged for Trusty
(codename)/

I keep ontop of the stable releases during the development cycle; we
also have a minor release exception for Ceph which means I can push
point releases as stable release updates.

Great! Before 14.04 comes out I think there will be a minor release of Emperor.

Both Qemu (1.7) and libvirt (1.1.4) is compiled with librbd
support, so that's great.

Is there anything else still missing that needs to be fixed for
Ubuntu 14.04? Things that come to mind:

- tgt packages with rbd enabled?

Done

Awesome!

- modfastcgi for Apache with 100-continue support?

Tricky - when I last looked at this the consensus was that
100-continue support appeared to break general FastCGI compat - but it
would be nice to look at this again.  I'm also trying to get
mod_fastcgi out of Ubuntu multiverse (due to a cause in the license
which makes it non-free from Debian's perspective) but upstream are
not that active so I'm not depending on that!

Ok, that's not something I'm sure of. I just don't like the extra repo for mod_fastcgi.

- btrfs fixes for in the kernel?

If you have specific issues that you know of for the current 3.12 and
final 3.13 kernels please highlight these to me - I can channel then
through to the Ubuntu kernel team for review.

I'm not aware of any issues, but it's just something that came to mind.

- RBD cache patches for Qemu?

I'll defer to more knowledgeable folk but I *think* this is already
enabled - but I may be wrong :-).

Ok, I assumed so since most of it went into Qemu 1.5

I know we are still ~5 months away from the LTS release, but since
it's going to be the next LTS I would like a stable release.

 From the CloudStack perspective it would be great if 14.04 has all
the required packages so it's only a matter of installing the
CloudStack KVM agent and people can start with Ceph. Same goes for
OpenStack I guess.

I'm tracking 14.04 Ceph related stuff on this blueprint:

   https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/servercloud-1311-ceph

Let me know if you want anything else added/tracked.

As was mentioned the upstart script for rbdmap, that should be all I guess.

Cheers

James

- --
James Page