Re: HEALTH_WARN pool .rgw.buckets has too few pgs

Ah.  So that warning compares the objects per pg in that pool vs the
objects per pg in the entire system, and if there is too much of a skew,
issues a warning. If you look at 'ceph health detail' you will see some of
the detail there.

The reason you're seeing this is because you have lots and lots of pgs for
the rgw pools that typically have almost no objects (.rgw.control,
.rgw.root, .rgw.gc, .users, .users.email, possibly others).  Generally
speaking, it is only the .rgw.buckets pool that needs to get large (that
is where most of the data goes). The pg_num value for others can be turned
up as needed (see 'ceph df' to see where the objects are).

It's not possible to decrease pg_num on a pool right now.  For some of
these pools, though, it is possible to create a new pool, copy the data,
remove the old one, and rename the new one (while the radosgw daemons are
stopped).  The 'rados' tool has a copy function that can handle this,
IIRC.

You can also adjust the max skew to make this warning go away and change
nothing (mon pg warn max object skew), but the large number of PGs will
have a somewhat negative impact on cluster performance...

sage