Re: Journal, SSD and OS

Another option is to run journals on individually presented SSDs, in a 5:1 ratio (spinning-disk:ssd) and have the OS somewhere else. Then the failure domain is smaller.

Ideally implement some way to monitor SSD write life SMART data - at least it gives a guide as to device condition compared to its rated life. That can be done with smartmontools, but it would be nice to have it on the InkTank dashboard for example.

On 2013-12-05 14:26, Sebastien Han wrote:
Hi guys,

I won’t do a RAID 1 with SSDs since they both write the same data.
Thus, they are more likely to “almost” die at the same time.

What I will try to do instead is to use both disk in JBOD mode or
(degraded RAID0).
Then I will create a tiny root partition for the OS.

Then I’ll still have something like /dev/sda2 and /dev/sdb2 and then
I can take advantage of the 2 disks independently.
The good thing with that is that you can balance your journals across both SSDs.
From a performance perspective this is really good.
The bad thing as always is that if you loose a SSD you loose all the
journals attached to it.

Cheers.

––––
Sébastien Han
Cloud Engineer

"Always give 100%. Unless you're giving blood.”

Phone: +33 (0)1 49 70 99 72
Mail: sebastien.han@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Address : 10, rue de la Victoire - 75009 Paris
Web : www.enovance.com - Twitter : @enovance

On 05 Dec 2013, at 10:53, Gandalf Corvotempesta