french ceph meetup

Hi,

The first unofficial French ceph user meetup took place in Nantes on Friday 29th 2013.  There were 8 participants.

Yann from the University of Nantes related his use case of ceph. During his presentation we talked about hardware choices, about using SSD and problems he has experienced in his infrastructure. We also talked about his choice of cephfs and rbd to access his ceph cluster. With Q/A this occupied our morning.

In the afternoon, we talked about the supervision and administration of ceph. Alain from Orange Labs showed us a first version of a web interface based on ceph-rest-api to create ceph objects and a d3js view like 'osd tree' and 'osd status'; it was great. We discussed what this interface should look like, and proposed to create a github projet to boost the developpement of this interface. That should happen soon.

We think that it is a pity that we can not specify the ruleset when creating a pool with ceph_rest_api: osd/pool/create?pool=pool(<poolname>)&pg _num=pg_num(<int[0-]>)&pgp_num={pgp_num( <int[0-]>)}. We will list all the differences between ceph_rest_api and the ceph cli and keep inktank team informed.

We also had a discussion about how to aggregate informations needed for supervision, administration and d3js visualization.  Pierre from Affilae proposed using mongoDB instead of redis  to store all the information, not only ceph information but also hardware and system information. We are going to test this idea. We will propose a solution to collect and analyse informations for nagios, d3js and administration interfaces. In conclusion, the community needs an administration interface to help ceph get adopted by more companies. So let's do it!
I enjoyed this meeting and I 'm looking forward to the next one.
People who are interested by the next French meetup can send me an e-mail.

Best Regards,
--
Eric Mourgaya,

Respectons la planete!