Re: Minimum requirements for ceph monitors?

Title: Re: Minimum requirements for ceph monitors?

Most of my OSD nodes are equipped with low voltage xeon (L5420) processors what is probably somewhat of an overkill. For that reason I run them with other services as well. However the board you are suggesting could be the answer for less power consumption on the OSD nodes.

That still leaves me with the monitor nodes, which I like to separate from the OSD nodes. Since they handle all MDS and rados requests, I believe  they should be more powerful then the OSD nodes. But in this point of time that is pure speculation from my side.

Van: ceph-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ceph-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] Namens Gruher, Joseph R
Verzonden: woensdag 27 november 2013 20:05
Aan: Mark Nelson; ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Onderwerp: Re: Minimum requirements for ceph monitors?

>For ~$67 you get a mini-itx motherboard with a soldered on 17W dual core
>1.8GHz ivy-bridge based Celeron (supports SSE4.2 CRC32 instructions!).
>It has 2 standard dimm slots so no compromising on memory, on-board gigabit
>eithernet, 3 3Gb/s + 1 6Gb/s SATA, and a single PCIE slot for an additional NIC.
>This has the potential to make a very competent low cost, lowish power OSD
>or mon server.  The biggest downside is that it doesn't appear to support ECC
>memory.  Some of the newer Atoms appear to, so that might be an option as
>well.

Yup, the server and storage purposed Atoms do support ECC.  I think Atom sounds like an interesting fit for OSD servers, the new Avoton SoCs are quite fast, can host up to 64GB ECC RAM on two channels, and have 4x1GbE or 1x10GbE onboard.  Plus six SATA lanes onboard which would be a nice fit for an OS disk, a journal SSD and four OSD disks.  I have been hoping to track down a few boards and do some testing with Atom myself.

http://ark.intel.com/products/77987/Intel-Atom-Processor-C2750-4M-Cache-2_40-GHz

Would be interested to hear if anyone else has tried such an experiment.

__________ Informatie van ESET Endpoint Antivirus, versie van database viruskenmerken 9102 (20131127) __________

Het bericht is gecontroleerd door ESET Endpoint Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com

__________ Informatie van ESET Endpoint Antivirus, versie van database viruskenmerken 9104 (20131127) __________