Re: Number of threads for osd processes

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 1:31 AM, Jens-Christian Fischer
<jens-christian.fischer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> The largest group of threads is those from the network messenger — in
>> the current implementation it creates two threads per process the
>> daemon is communicating with. That's two threads for each OSD it
>> shares PGs with, and two threads for each client which is accessing
>> any data on that OSD.
>
> If I read your statement right, then 1000 threads still seem excessive, no? (with 24 OSD, there's only max 2 * 23 threads to the other OSDs + some threads to the clients)...

Well, it depends on how many clients you have. ;) I think the default
settings also have ~12 internal working threads (but I don't recall
exactly). The thread count definitely is not related to the number of
PGs it hosts (directly, anyway — more PGs can lead to more OSD peers
and so more messenger threads). Keep in mind that if you have clients
connecting and then disconnecting repeatedly (eg, the rados tool),
each instance counts as a client and the connection has to time out
(15 minutes) before its threads get cleaned up.
-Greg