Re: OSD on an external, shared device

>     Is there any way to manually configure which OSDs are started on which
> machines? The osd configuration block includes the osd name and host, so is
> there a way to say that, say, osd.0 should only be started on host vashti
> and osd.1 should only be started on host zadok?  I tried using this
> configuration:

The ceph udev rules are going to automatically mount disks that match
the ceph "magic" guids, to dig through the full logic you need to
inspect these files:

/lib/udev/rules.d/60-ceph-partuuid-workaround.rules
/lib/udev/rules.d/95-ceph-osd.rules

The upstart scripts look to see what is mounted at /var/lib/ceph/osd/
and starts osd daemons as appropriate:

/etc/init/ceph-osd-all-starter.conf

In theory you should be able to remove the udev scripts and mount the
osds in /var/lib/ceph/osd if your using upstart. You will want to make
sure that upgrades to the ceph package don't replace the files, maybe
that means making a null rule and using "-o
Dpkg::Options::='--force-confold" in ceph-deploy/chef/puppet/whatever.
You will also want to avoid putting the mounts in fstab because it
could render your node unbootable if the device or filesystem fails.

--

Kyle