Re: testing ceph performance issue

On 11/26/2013 08:14 AM, Patrick McGarry wrote:
Adding ceph-user.

Best Regards,

Patrick McGarry
Director, Community || Inktank
http://ceph.com  ||  http://inktank.com
@scuttlemonkey || @ceph || @inktank

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 1:49 AM,  <haiquan517@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Hi ,

         I'm from China ,  recently we are testing ceph block storage
performance, but now we encounter a issue. the issue is :  we storage about
10 image file to rbd block storage, and image file zise about 100G, now the
rbd block storage read / write is slow , read speed about: 50M/s;  write
speed about:80M/s .   we test environment is :  5 servers ( 2 mds,  3 mon,
5 osd)  ,  and 33T osd , and 10000/M  network ,   32G memory.
        now copy this image to rbd same directory very slow ,    could you
pls help me analysis?

       thanks a lot!!!

Hi!

For RBD you don't need MDS servers, so you can take those out of the cluster if you like. Otherwise, I suspect maybe you could have a more optimal configuration. If each OSD is 33T, does that mean you are using a RAID array for each OSD? Typically Ceph performs best with 1 disk per OSD. Also, what replication level are you using?

Beyond that, the hardware and software setup may be important.

- What controller and are you using Writeback cache?
- Do you use SSDs for journals?
- What CPU do you have in each node?
- Does your chassis have expanders?
- What OS/Kernel?
- Are you using QEMU/KVM or Kernel RBD Driver?
- If QEMU/KVM, do you have RBD writeback cache enabled?