Re: ceph cluster performance

I pinged a guy on the SSD team here at Intel and he confirmed - if you have a new drive (or freshly secure erased drive) and you only use the subset of the capacity (such as by creating a small partition) you effectively get the same benefits as overprovisioning the hidden area of the drive (or underprovisioning the available capacity if you prefer to look at it that way).  It's really all about maintaining a larger area of cells where the SSDs knows it does not have to preserve the data, one way or the other.