Re: USB pendrive as boot disk

On 07/11/13 13:54, Craig Lewis wrote:

On 11/6/13 15:41 , Gandalf Corvotempesta wrote:
With the suggested adapter why not using a standard 2.5'' sata disk?

Sata for OS should be enough, no need for an ssd

At the time, the smallest SSDs were about half the price of the smallest HDDs. My Ceph nodes are only using ~4GB on /, so small and cheap is fine. I would've continued using the USB pen drives if they hadn't caused so many problems.

It only while composing my email that it occurred to me that the SSD mirrors might fail the same way as the USB drives. I'm less worried about it, but I do plan to monitor their wear levels now that I has occurred to me.

The SSD failures I've seen have all been firmware bugs rather than flash wearout. This has the effect that a RAID1 pair are likley to fail at the same time!

Regards

Mark