Re: Disk Density Considerations

On 6 November 2013 14:08, Andrey Korolyov <andrey@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> We are looking at building high density nodes for small scale 'starter'
> deployments for our customers (maybe 4 or 5 nodes).  High density in this
> case could mean a 2u chassis with 2x external 45 disk JBOD containers
> attached.  That's 90 3TB disks/OSDs to be managed by a single node.  That's
> about 243TB of potential usable space, and so (assuming up to 75% fillage)
> maybe 182TB of potential data 'loss' in the event of a node failure.  On an
> uncongested, unused, 10Gbps network, my back-of-a-beer-mat calculations say
> that would take about 45 hours to get the cluster back into an undegraded
> state - that is the requisite number of copies of all objects.

For such large number of disks you should consider that the cache
amortization will not take any place even if you are using 1GB
controller(s) - only tiered cache can be an option. Also recovery will
take much more time even if you have a room for client I/O in the
calculations because raw disks have very limited IOPS capacity and
recovery will either take a much longer than such expectations at a
glance or affect regular operations. For S3/Swift it may be acceptable
but for VM images it does not.

Sure, but my argument was that you are never likely to actually let that entire recovery operation complete - you're going to replace the hardware and plug the disks back in and let them catch up by log replay/backfill.  Assuming you don't ever actually expect to really lose all data on 90 disks in one go...

By tiered caching, do you mean using something like flashcache or bcache?