Re: Running on disks that lose their head

On 2013-11-06 09:33, Sage Weil wrote:

This make me think we really need to build or integrate with some generic
SMART reporting infrastructure so that we can identify disks that are
failing or going to fail.

It could be of use especially for SSD devices used for journals.

Unfortunately there seems to be no standard in reporting SSD cell life remaining, but if there were some subset of devices supported my thought is that the journals could be moved to another drive once write life reaches some level, like 5%. Or some method to shutdown the host(/affected OSDs), replace the SSD, then bring them back online with the new journal device.

Just thinking out loud, as usual :)