Re: locking rbd device

On 08/26/2013 09:03 AM, Wolfgang Hennerbichler wrote:
> hi list,
>
> I realize there's a command called "rbd lock" to lock an image. Can
> libvirt use this to prevent virtual machines from being started
> simultaneously on different virtualisation containers?

Anser to myself, only 2 months later ;)

libvirt can do this. There are hooks in libvirt, to call actions when
VM's are stopped or started. I've written a script (that is not perfect
but working), that will lock all your rbd-images according to your
libvirt-configuration once you start your VM. If you try to start the VM
on another hypervisor (that has the same hooks in place) it will refuse
to start the VM.

I've documented and published my script on my webpage:
http://www.wogri.at/en/linux/ceph-libvirt-locking/

--
http://www.wogri.com