Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 05:15:27 -0700
From: Kyle Bader <kyle.bader@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Expanding ceph cluster by adding more OSDs

I've contracted and expanded clusters by up to a rack of 216 OSDs - 18
nodes, 12 drives each.  New disks are configured with a CRUSH weight of 0
and I slowly add weight (0.1 to 0.01 increments), wait for the cluster to
become active+clean and then add more weight. I was expanding after
contraction so my PG count didn't need to be corrected, I tend to be
liberal and opt for more PGs.  If I hadn't contracted the cluster prior to
expanding it I would probably add PGs after all the new OSDs have finished
being weighted into the cluster.