Re: Multicast

> Hi All
>
> I was wondering whether multicast could be used for the replication
> traffic?  It just seemed that the outbound network bandwidth from the
> source could be halved.

Right now I think ceph traffic is all TCP, which doesn't do multicast.

You'd either need to make ceph use UDP and handle packet loss, congestion, and all the other things that TCP handles, or use a reliable multicast protocol like PGM (assuming that met all the required criteria).

It would be an interesting exercise though. Depending on network layout (no cluster network) the client could multicast to all replicas and potentially reduce latency by half. I suspect that the client participating in the replication goes against the internal workings of ceph though and would be a major rework...

James