Re: OSD numbering

OSD numbers are 2^32

On 30/10/2013 16:37, Glen Aidukas wrote:> I wanted to know, does the OSD numbering half to be sequential and what is the highest usable number (2^16 or 2^32)?

> The reason is, I would like to use a numbering convention that reflects the cluster number (assuming I will have more than one down the road; test, dev, prod), the host and disk used by a given OSD.

Although it was possible in the past to assign arbitrary OSD ids ( numbers ), it is no longer possible.

> So, for example: osd.CHHHDD  where:
> 	C	Cluster number 1-9
> 	HHH	Host number  IE: ceph001, ceph002, ...
> 	DD	Disk number on a given host Ex: 00 = /dev/sda or something like this.
>
> If the highest number usable is 65534 or near that (2^16) then maybe I could use format CHHDD or CHHHD where I could have clusters 1-5.
>
> The up side to this is I quickly know where osd.200503 is.  It's on cluster 2 host ceph005 and the third disk.  Also, if I add a new disk on a middle host, it doesn’t scatter the numbering to where I don't easily know were an OSD is.  I know I can always look this up but having it as part of the OSD number makes life easier. :)
>
> Also, it might seem silly to have the first digit as a cluster number but I think we probable can't pad the number with zeros so using an initial digit of 1-9 cleans this up so I might as well use it to identify the cluster.
>
> This numbering system is not important for the monitors or metadata but could help with the OSDs.

If you use "ceph osd tree" you will get a display of the hierarchical organization of your infrastructure. Is is not enough to locate the OSDs ?

ceph osd root@bm0012:~# ceph osd tree
# id	weight	type name	up/down	reweight
-1	9	root default
-2	3.59		host bm0012
0	1.82			osd.0	down	0
3	1.77			osd.3	down	0
-3	3.59		host bm0014
1	1.82			osd.1	up	1
4	1.77			osd.4	up	1
-4	1.82		host bm0015
2	1.82			osd.2	up	1

Unless you have a specific use case in mind, OSD ids can safely be ignored. I recently discovered why and "Fully automated disks life cycle in a Ceph cluster" posted at http://dachary.org/?p=2428 explains how I understand it.

Cheers

> -Glen

Loïc Dachary, Artisan Logiciel Libre