Re: Hardware: SFP+ or 10GBase-T

On 10/24/2013 11:38 AM, Nathan Stratton wrote:
On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 11:19 AM, Kyle Bader <kyle.bader@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
If you are talking about the links from the nodes with OSDs to their
ToR switches then I would suggest going with Twinax cables. Twinax
doesn't go very far but it's really durable and uses less power than
10GBase-T. Here's a blog post that goes into more detail:

http://etherealmind.com/difference-twinax-category-6-10-gigabit-ethernet/

I would probably go with the Arista 7050-S over the 7050-T and use
twinax for ToR to OSD node links and SFP+SR uplinks to spine switches
if you need longer runs.

So I totally understand that its less power, but finding that hard to
justify when the cost per port jumps to $300 more per port. With dual
ports its going to take a long time to make that up in power savings.

It used to be that SFP+ 10GbE cards were somewhat cheaper than the Cat6 ones which helped offset the price of the cables. Not sure what kind of pricing you can get but if twinax works out to be not much more I'd do it. I suspect it won't really matter to Ceph, but the power savings are nice (this can add up when doing a full data center) and I like working with them better.