Re: CephFS & Project Manila (OpenStack)

On 10/23/2013 01:47 PM, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:
On 10/23/2013 12:53 PM, Gregory Farnum wrote:
On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 7:43 AM, Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2013-10-22 22:41, Gregory Farnum wrote:

Right now, unsurprisingly, the focus of the existing Manila developers
is on Option 1: it's less work than the others and supports the most
common storage protocols very well. But as mentioned, it would be a
pretty poor fit for CephFS

I must be missing something, I thought CephFS was supposed to be a
distributed filesystem which to me means option 1 was the point.

It's a question of infrastructure and security.
1) For a private cloud with flat networking this would probably be
fine, but if you're running per-tenant VLANs then you might not want
to plug all 1000 Ceph IPs into each tenant.

What's a "tenant"? How is he different from "share" in the context of a
filesystem?

Why plug 1000 IPs into it, I thought you only needed an MDS or three  to
mount the filesystem? Now, exporting different filesystems via different
MDSes on top of the same set of OSDs might be useful for spreading the
load, too.

2) Each running VM would need to have a good native CephFS client.
That means either a working FUSE install with ceph-fuse and its
dependencies installed, or a very new Linux kernel — quite different
from NFS or CIFS, which every OS in the world has a good client for.

This is a problem you have to face anyway: right now cephfs is unusable
on rhel family because elrepo's kernel-ml isn't fit for stable
deployments and I've no idea if their -lt is, like the stock el6 kernel,
"too old".

I doubt rhel 7 will go any newer than 3.9, though with the number of
patches they normally use their version numbers don't mean much.

No idea what suse & ubuntu lts do, but with rhel family you're looking
at "maybe 3.9 by maybe next summer".

AFAIK trusty is going to be using 3.12.

3) Even if we get our multi-tenancy as good as we can make it, a buggy
or malicious client will still be able to introduce service
interruptions for the tenant in question. (By disappearing without
notification, leaving leases to time out; by grabbing locks and
refusing to release them; etc.) Nobody wants their cloud to be blamed
for a tenant's software issues, and this would cause trouble.
4) As a development shortcut, providing multitenancy via CephFS would
be a lot easier if we can trust the client (that is, the hypervisor
host) to provide some of the security we need.

There's a fix for that and it's called EULA: "your client breaks our
cloud, we sue the swift out of you". See e.g. http://aws.amazon.com/aup/

You can't trust the client. All you can do is make sure that when e.g.
they kill their MDSes, other tenants' MDSes are not killed. The rest is
essentially a non-technical problem, there's no software pill for those.

Again, I'm likely missing a lot of somethings, so take it with a pound
of salt.