Re: SSD question

On 22/10/13 15:05, Martin Catudal wrote:
Hi,
      I have purchase my hardware for my Ceph storage cluster but did not
open any of my 960GB SSD drive box since I need to answer my question first.

Here's my hardware.

THREE server Dual 6 core Xeon 2U capable with 8 hotswap tray plus 2 SSD
mount internally.
In each server I will have :
2 x SSD 840 Pro Samsung 128 GB in RAID 1 for the OS
2 x SSD 840 Pro Samsung for journal
4 x 4TB Hitachi 7K4000 7200RPM
1 x 960GB Crucial M500 for one fast OSD pool.

Configuration : One SSD journal for two 4TB so If I lost one SSD
journal, I will only lost Two OSD instead of all my storage for that
particular node.

I have also bought 3 x 960GB M500 SSD from Crucial for the creation of a
fast Pool of OSD made from SSD's. So One 960GB per server for database
application.
It is advisable to do that but it is better to return them and for the
same price buy 6 more 4TB Hitachi?

Since the write acknowledgment is made from the SSD journal, does I have
a huge improvement by using SSD as OSD?
My goal is to have solid fast performance for database ERP and 3D
modeling of mining gallery run in VM.

Yeah, using SSD(s) for the journal will certainly improve performance. I am a little concerned about your choice of SSD tho - while the Samsung 840 Pro is a great workstation drive I don't see any mention of power off safety in its specs. The risk there is that the journal data could be corrupted by an power (or power supply) glitch.

We are looking at the Intel S3700 for this reason - it *is* a bit more expensive but has a longer write lifetime and is power off safe (on board capacitor).

I'd be interested to hear what other people think with respect to the 'right' type of SSD to use for Ceph journals!

Cheers

Mark