Re: Application HA & Scalability Via ceph

On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 12:23 PM, Noah Watkins <noah.watkins@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 12:04 PM,  <Paul_Whittington@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Is this possible?
>> Does it make sense?
>
> As far as constructing scriptable object interfaces (Java, LISP,
> etc...) this is certainly possible, and pretty cool :) Currently we
> have a development version of Lua support (github.com/ceph/ceph.git
> cls-lua), and an LLVM JIT implementation about ready to make public.

This definitely makes sense, but I think the rest of it might be
stretching the abstraction and capabilities a bit farther than they're
prepared for. Object class methods right now are synchronous calls —
the client sends in an op on object foo, the op is executed on object
foo (including the call into the object class), and then it returns to
the client. While it's processing that op, other accesses to object
foo are blocked.
While we are starting to equip the OSDs with the tooling necessary to
spin off operations to other objects on other OSDs as part of our
promote work, it's still fairly primitive and there's no direct
exposure to it via the object classes — and again, these sorts of
subops within a class would block anybody else wanting to access that
object.

What I suspect you could do feasibly is embed object classes which do
each stage of a pipeline in the smallest granularity that's feasible,
and then have intelligent clients sending off the op requests and
marshaling responses as appropriate.
-Greg