Re: Ceph configuration data sharing requirements

> * The IP address of at least one MON in the Ceph cluster

If you configure nodes with a single monitor in the "mon hosts" directive then I believe your nodes will have issues if that one monitor goes down. With Chef I've gone back and forth between using Chef search and having monitors be declarative. Chef search is problematic if you are not declarative about how many monitors to expect, you could end up with 3 monitors and 3 single monitor quorums during initial cluster creation.

> If cephx is disabled:
>
> * no other requirement
>
> If cephx is enabled:
>
> * an admin user is created by providing a keyring file with its description when the first
>   MON is bootstraped
>   http://ceph.com/docs/next/dev/mon-bootstrap/

> * users must be created by injecting them into the MONs, for instance with auth import
>    https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/master/src/mon/MonCommands.h#L162
>    or auth add. There is not need to ask the MONs for a key, although it can be done. It is
>    not a requirement. When a user is created or later on, its capabilities can be set.
>
> * an osd must be created by the mon which return an unique osd ID which is then used to
>    further configure the osd.
>    https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/master/src/mon/MonCommands.h#L471
>
> * a client must be given a user id and a secret key
>
> It would also be helpful to better understand why people are happy with the way ceph-deploy currently works and how it deals with these requirements.

I haven't used ceph-deploy, but I did write a chef cookbook before ceph-deploy was a thing.  You will want to get the OSD bootstrap key from one of the monitors and distribute it to your OSD nodes. Once you have the bootstrap key you can have puppet enable and start the upstart service. After ceph-osd-all is running under upstart you can simply use ceph-disk-prepare and a new OSD will be created based off the OSD bootstrap key, the OSD id is automatically allocated by the monitor during this process.

--

Kyle