Re: Dumpling ceph.conf looks different

Previously the Ceph startup scripts required an enumeration of the
daemons in the ceph.conf in order to start them. We've been doing a
lot of incremental work since last October or so to make the system do
more self-bootstrapping, and by the time we released Dumpling that got
far enough to be used as the default configuration system (although it
wasn't only for Dumpling).
Now all the startup scripts will look in the default paths (or those
specified by a ceph.conf in /etc/ceph, I believe) for anything that
"looks like" a daemon, and start them up if they're present. This was
the natural evolution of doing things like setting up udev rules that
automatically ran any OSDs that have been created on a freshly
plugged-in disk (which is how all the ceph-disk-[prepare|activate]
stuff works).
In general we find that this is easier to maintain since users are
less likely to have conflicting ceph.confs across multiple nodes, and
it doesn't present the illusion that a monolithic config file is
necessary — but you are of course free to do otherwise if you prefer!
-Greg