Re: Client Timeout on Rados Gateway

On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 2:40 PM, Gruher, Joseph R
<joseph.r.gruher@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Could you clarify something for me... I have a cluster network (10.0.0.x) and a public network (10.23.37.x).  All the Ceph machines have one interface on each network and clients (when configured normally) would only be on the public network.  My ceph.conf uses 10.0.0.x IPs for the monitors but as you mention below this can cause a problem for the client reaching the monitor since it is not on that network.  This could cause the rados command to fail?  What is the solution to that problem?  It doesn't seem like ceph.conf should use the public IPs for the monitor, don't we want those to be on the private network?  And the client wouldn't normally have access to the private network.  Is this really just an issue with accuss using rados, as swift or rbd would not need to access the monitors?

The monitor ports need to be on what Ceph calls the "public" network.
The name is perhaps a little misleading, but the distinction is
between the cluster network — used only by the OSDs, to transfer data
between themselves — and the public network, which is used by
everybody. Monitors in particular are associated with an IP that
cannot change, so doing any kind of dual-broadcast would be finicky,
and they are the access point for every daemon or client which wants
to join the cluster.

Clients which are not using Ceph directly (as in the case of an S3
client, going through the RADOS Gateway) do not need to be on any of
the Ceph networks; they just need access to whatever port their
gateway is serving requests from.
-Greg