Re: Deploy CEPH Cluster with SAN

On 10/07/2013 09:36 AM, Mr.Salvatore Rapisarda wrote:
Hi, i started to follow a project with OpenStack and I have some
questions about the storage and specifically the use of a storage SAN.
Actualy I have two SAN without cluster and replication feature. Can i
integrate the SAN with Ceph give these replication features / clusters
to storage (SAN)?

Hi Salvo,

Sort of... You might be able to deploy Ceph on top of the SAN, but it's certainly not really an ideal setup. Presumably you'd want to create a crushmap such that your PGs always span SANs so you have some redundancy across them (assuming you care about that). Not sure how the performance would be or the right way to export LUNs for OSDs though. It probably depends on the hardware being used and the SAN topology.

Sounds like kind of a fun experiment though.  Good luck! :)

Mark

Thanks

Salvo.