Re: trouble adding OSDs - which documentation to use

Jogi,

I'm working on updating for manual installation. Most users who want
that level of detail are using it to incorporate ceph into another
deployment system like Chef, Puppet, Juju, etc. What you are working
on is pre ceph-deploy documentation, and some chef commentary too.
The links are broken for chef. I'll fix those. If you initially
deployed your cluster with ceph-deploy, you are probably best off
using ceph-deploy documentation here:
http://ceph.com/docs/master/rados/deployment/

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 8:08 AM, Jogi Hofmüller <jogi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am back to managing the cluster before starting to use it even on a
> test host.  First of all a question regarding the docs:
>
> Is this [1] outdated?  If not, why are the links to chef-* not working?
>  Is chef-* still recommended/used?
>
> After adding a new OSD (with ceph-deploy version 1.2.6) and starting the
> daemon after a reboot of the osd-server it complains:
>
> root@ceph-server1:~# service ceph start
> === osd.0 ===
> No filesystem type defined!
>
> I could not find anything in the docs on how to specify the fs-type.
> How is mounting the data-partition done usually?  It works if I mount it
> via an entry in /etc/fstab (or manually) but I would have to edit that
> manually.
>
> All this is done using ceph "dumpling" installed/deployed according to
> the getting started info from [2].
>
> [1]  http://ceph.com/docs/master/rados/operations/add-or-rm-osds/
> [2]  http://ceph.com/docs/master/start/quick-ceph-deploy/
>
> Regards!
> --
> j.hofmüller
>
> Optimism doesn't alter the laws of physics.         - Subcommander T'Pol

John Wilkins
Senior Technical Writer
Intank
john.wilkins@xxxxxxxxxxx