Re: trouble adding OSDs - which documentation to use

On 10/01/2013 05:08 PM, Jogi Hofmüller wrote:
> Dear all,

Sers jogi,

> I am back to managing the cluster before starting to use it even on
> a test host.  First of all a question regarding the docs:
>
> Is this [1] outdated?  If not, why are the links to chef-* not
> working? Is chef-* still recommended/used?

I believe this is a matter of taste. I can not say if this is
outdated, but I prefer not to use chef but only ceph-deploy.

> After adding a new OSD (with ceph-deploy version 1.2.6) and
> starting the daemon after a reboot of the osd-server it complains:
>
> root@ceph-server1:~# service ceph start === osd.0 === No filesystem
> type defined!
>
> I could not find anything in the docs on how to specify the
> fs-type. How is mounting the data-partition done usually?  It works
> if I mount it via an entry in /etc/fstab (or manually) but I would
> have to edit that manually.
>
> All this is done using ceph "dumpling" installed/deployed according
> to the getting started info from [2].
>
> [1]  http://ceph.com/docs/master/rados/operations/add-or-rm-osds/
> [2]  http://ceph.com/docs/master/start/quick-ceph-deploy/
>
> Regards!

Others might have different opinions on that, but I am the
old-fashioned guy who puts the stuff into his configuration file (like
bobtail used to be).
This works for me (ceph.conf):

[osd.0]
        host = rd-c2
        devs = /dev/sdb

[osd.1]
        host = rd-c2
        devs = /dev/sdc

On startup ceph mounts the disk to /var/lib/ceph/osd/ceph-[OSD-Number]
and works.

hope this helps
wogri