Re: poor radosgw performance

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 3:51 AM, Matt Thompson <wateringcan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Yehuda,
>
> I did try bumping up pg_num on .rgw, .rgw.buckets, and .rgw.buckets.index
> from 8 to 220 prior to writing to the list but when I saw no difference in
> performance I set back to 8 (by creating new pools etc.)
>
> One thing we have since noticed is that radosgw is validating tokens on each
> request; when we use ceph authentication instead we see much more promising
> results from swift-bench.
>
> Is there a known issue w/ keystone token caching in radosgw?  It's my
> understanding that 10,000 tokens should be cached by default, however this
> doesn't appear to be the case.  I've explicitly set
> rgw_keystone_token_cache_size in /etc/ceph/ceph.conf on my radosgw node yet
> radosgw continues to hit keystone on each request.

Looking at the code now I think I see the culprit. It's something that
was actually fixed in recent versions, but not there in dumpling. I
opened a ticket for it (6360) and I'll prepare a fix that will
hopefully make it to the next dumpling dot release. In the mean time
the way to go would be by using the ceph cache.

> Additionally, what does /var/lib/ceph/radosgw/ceph-radosgw.gateway get used
> for?  I see the docs mention that it needs to be created, yet it remains
> unpopulated on my nodes and doing a quick scan of ceph code I see no
> reference to that being used anywhere (thought I may be missing something).

That looks like a ceph generic directory that can be used to put your
specific user's keyring file (but I might be wrong).