Re: OSD and Journal Files

Dell - Internal Use - Confidential

Thanks Mike, great info!

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Dawson [mailto:mike.dawson@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 18 September 2013 16:04
To: Porter, Ian M; ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: OSD and Journal Files

Ian,

There are two schools of thought here. Some people say, run the journal on a separate partition on the spinner alongside the OSD partition, and don't mess with SSDs for journals. This may be the best practice for an architecture of high-density chassis.

The other design is to use SSDs for journals, but design with an appropriate ratio of journals per SSD. Plus, you need to understand losing an SSD will cause the loss of ALL of the OSDs which had their journal on the failed SSD.

For now, I'll assume you want to use SSDs and offer some suggestions.

First, you probably don't want RAID1 for the journal SSDs. It isn't particularly needed for resiliency and certainly isn't beneficial from a throughput perspective.

Next, the best practice is to have enough throughput in the Journals
(SSDs) so your OSDs (spinners) aren't starved. Let's assume your SSDs sustain writes at 450MB/s and the spinners can do 120MB/s.

450MB/s divided by 120MB/s = 3.75

Which I would round to a ratio of four OSD Journals on each SSD.

Since it appears you are using 24-drive chassis and the first two drives are taken by the RAID1 set for the OS, you have 22 drives left. You could do:

- 4 SSDs, each with 4 Journals
- 16 spinners, each running an OSD process
- 2 RAID1 OS
- 2 Empty

Or, if you want to push the ratio a bit farther (6 OSD journals on an SSD):

- 3 SSDs, each with 6 Journals
- 18 spinners, each running an OSD process
- 1 spinner for OS (no RAID1)

Because your 10Gb network will peak at 1,250MB/s the 6:1 ratio shown above should be fine (as you're limited to ~70MB/s for each OSD by the network anyway).

I think you'll be OK on CPU and RAM.

Journals are small (default of 1GB, I run 10GB). Create a 10GB unformatted partition for each journal and leave the rest of the SSD unallocated (it will be used for wear-leveling). If you use high-endurance SSDs, you could certainly consider smaller drives as long as they maintain sufficient performance characteristics.

Thanks,

Mike Dawson
Co-Founder & Director of Cloud Architecture Cloudapt LLC