Re: librados vs libcephfs performance for database broker

On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 2:08 AM, Serge Slipchenko
<serge.slipchenko@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am setting up a cluster that is using Hypertable as one of the key
> components.
> This had required some fixes of CephBroker, which I hope would be integrated
> to the main Hypertable branch soon. However, it seems to me that CephBroker
> doesn't need full fledged filesystem support. I wonder if raw librados could
> give me extra performance or metadata management isn't really time
> consuming.

It's unlikely to be much of a performance impact since IIRC Hypertable
uses pretty large files/chunks in order to minimize the metadata, and
CephFS is pretty efficient about managing metadata in that scenario.
Raw RADOS would be a simpler overall stack (and maybe more stable,
right now) but would require implementing whatever Hypertable requires
(and I think it basically wants HDFS) independently of the existing FS
stuff, and that would be a non-trivial project.
-Greg