Re: Best way to reformat OSD drives?

Am 02.09.2013 11:37, schrieb Jens-Christian Fischer:
we have a Ceph Cluster with 64 OSD drives in 10 servers. We originally formatted the OSDs with btrfs but have had numerous problems (server kernel panics) that we could point back to btrfs. We are therefore in the process of reformatting our OSDs to XFS. We have a process that works, but I was wondering, if there is a simpler / faster way.

Currently we 'ceph osd out' all drives of a server and wait for the data to migrate away, then delete the OSD, recreate it and start the OSD processes again. This takes at least 1-2 days per server (mostly waiting for the data to migrate back and forth)

Why wait for the data to migrate away? Normally you have replicas of the whole osd data, so you can simply stop the osd, reformat the disk and restart it again. It'll join the cluster and automatically get all data it's missing. Of course the risk of dataloss is a bit higher during that time, but normally that should be ok, because it's not different from an ordinary disk failure which can happen any time.

I just found a similar question from one year ago: http://www.spinics.net/lists/ceph-devel/msg05915.html I didn't read the whole thread, but probably you can find some other ideas there.

service ceph osd stop $OSD
mkfs -t xfs /dev/XXX
ceph-osd -i $OSD --mkfs --mkkey --mkjournal
service ceph osd start $OSD

Corin