Re: ceph and incremental backups

On 2013-08-31 04:04, Mark Chaney wrote:
If I am going to use a Ceph RBD cluster to store my kvm instances, how should I be doing backups?

1) I would prefer them to be incremental so that a whole backup doesnt have to happen every night. 2) I would also like the instances to obviously stay online during the backup 3) Backups will be stored off the ceph cluster on slower sata drives on another storage server.
I would rather imagine it depends on _why_ you're backing up; is it to do a full restore, or do you also want to support retrieval of individual files?

If all you require is full system restore, taking snapshots of the block storage, and incrementally storing the differences seems to be the most straight-forward way to proceed. If you take high-frequency backups (to allow for rolling back only the last n minutes of processing), but only permanently store daily backups for the last week, weekly for the last month, etc. It would probably make sense to leave the high-frequency snapshots on ceph, and only transfer backup data off the cluster once a day.

If you need to restore individual files (I would imagine that this is quite likely), then you'd use the same backup facility as you would have if the VMs were instead distinct physical machines being backed up across the network, ie. bacula, backuppc, etc.

There could be a certain amount to gain from taking a snapshot, then attaching that to your backup VM, so that doing a backup doesn't cause extra load to be placed on the working VMs, but your ability to be able to do that would depend on what backup engine you're using.

--
Martin Rudat