Re: ceph-deploy howto

On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 6:17 AM, Bernhard Glomm <bernhard.glomm@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Is there an _actual_ howto, man page or other documentation
about ceph-deploy?

There are a couple of places for ceph-deploy documentation.

The first one is the Github project page: https://github.com/ceph/ceph-deploy#ceph-deploy----deploy-ceph-with-minimal-infrastructure

And the other place for ceph-deploy examples is the actual ceph docs page, although not centralized in one spot, but spread around
depending on the use case: ceph.com/docs/

I can't find any documentation about how to specify different
networks (storage/public), use folders or partitions instead of disks...

There are more than a few rough spots where ceph-deploy's docs are either not well documented or not documented at all. For the past
couple of weeks we have been concentrating on improving the stability and attempting to update docs as we've moved forward.

To use a partition you would do something similar to this:

    ceph-deploy osd create {host}:{disk}[:{journal}]

So if you had a node1 host, with a /dev/sda disk and a /dev/sda1 partition the above command would now look like:

    ceph-deploy osd create node1:/dev/sda:/dev/sda1

And for an OSD folder it would be

    ceph-deploy osd create node1:/path/to/osd

There is a ticket open to improve documentation specifically for the OSD commands, so that should be soon fixed.

TIA

Bernhard

--

*Ecologic Institute* Bernhard Glomm
IT Administration

Phone: +49 (30) 86880 134
Fax: +49 (30) 86880 100
Skype: bernhard.glomm.ecologic
Website: | Video: | Newsletter: | Facebook: | Linkedin: | Twitter: | YouTube: | Google+:
Ecologic Institut gemeinnützige GmbH | Pfalzburger Str. 43/44 | 10717 Berlin | Germany
GF: R. Andreas Kraemer | AG: Charlottenburg HRB 57947 | USt/VAT-IdNr.: DE811963464
Ecologic™ is a Trade Mark (TM) of Ecologic Institut gemeinnützige GmbH