Re: NFS vs. CephFS for /var/lib/nova/instances

Hi Greg,

We are using RBD for most of our VM images and volumes. But, if you spin off an instance from a Glance image without specifying a boot volume, Glance caches the image (/var/lib/nova/instances/_base) on Nova node where this instance is scheduled..  You can use a shared file system for Glance cache and avoid image caching (or copying over the network) to every Nova node..

Also, /var/lib/nova/instances/ directory is also used to store libvirt.xml for an instance and during Live Migration or Nova Evacuate, it helpful if this directory is shared between Nova nodes..

Thanks!
Amit

Reference:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/bring-rbd-support-libvirt-images-type