some newbie questions...

dear ceph-users,

although heavily active in the past, i didn’t touch linux for years, so I’m pretty new to ceph and i have a few questions, which i hope someone could answer for me.

1) i read somewhere that it is recommended to have one OSD per disk in a production environment.

   is this also the maximum disk per OSD or could i use multiple disks per OSD? and why?

2) i've read about some use-cases where the cluster consisted of a monitor and some osd's but no mds.

   is that possible? i believe mds is used as a floating file system for inode storage at the osd cluster nodes.

   so without it, could it be used for object storage of some kind?

3) in a san configuration where i only expose iscsi targets to the "outside" world, do i need radosgw, mds or cephfs?

   I prefer some sort of plug-in that exposes iscsi targets directly on the rbd interface. But then again, how would you

   manage these virtual disks without cephfs...

4) Since we like to think green too, is it possible to shutdown nodes?

   or at least set them at a sort of standby mode after office hours?

5) many of the production deployments out there use xfs as their base file system, however without journaling most of these

   systems use extra ssd's to emulate copy-on-write journaling. So from this i gather that its somehow possible to assign this

   journaling role to some dedicated machines. how?

6) picture perfect and I would use btrfs. But i hear some complains of not being stable enough. How is that in the current version

   of ubuntu 13.04 for example. I'm on a very short time schedule and have to come up with a solution. for example I could as well

   install the first few nodes with xfs and then later on add some other machines with btrfs. but that is not my prefer scenario.

   if a node with btrfs corrupts, does that mean all the other nodes are likely to corrupt as well?

7) i followed some example setup from your website and when installing ceph i see a lot of packages being installed ending with -dev.

   this probably only when you like to build from git yourself. however is that really necessary or can i just grab the latest binaries somewhere?

many thanks in advance for anyone helping me out with these questions.

regards,

johannes

__________ Informatie van ESET Endpoint Antivirus, versie van database viruskenmerken 8705 (20130819) __________

Het bericht is gecontroleerd door ESET Endpoint Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com