Re: RBD and balanced reads

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 9:07 AM, Sage Weil <sage@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Aug 2013, S?bastien Han wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> While reading a developer doc, I came across the following options:
>>
>> * osd balance reads = true
>> * osd shed reads = true
>> * osd shed reads min latency
>> * osd shed reads min latency diff
>>
>> The problem is that I can't find any of these options in config_opts.h.
>
> These are left over from an old unimplemented experiment and were removed
> a while back.
>
>> Loic Dachary also gave me a flag that he found from the code.
>>
>> m->get_flags() & CEPH_OSD_FLAG_LOCALIZE_READS)
>>
>> So my questions are:
>>
>> * Which from the above flags are correct?
>> * Do balanced reads really exist in RBD?
>
> For localized reads you want
>
> OPTION(rbd_balance_snap_reads, OPT_BOOL, false)
> OPTION(rbd_localize_snap_reads, OPT_BOOL, false)
>
> Note that the 'localize' logic is still very primitive (it matches by IP
> address).  There is a blueprint to improve this:
>
>         http://wiki.ceph.com/01Planning/02Blueprints/Emperor/librados%2F%2Fobjecter%3A_smarter_localized_reads

Also, there are some issues with read/write consistency when using
localized reads because the replicas do not provide the ordering
guarantees that primaries will. See
http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/5388
At present localized reads are really only suitable for spreading the
load on write-once, read-many workloads.
-Greg