Re: Ceph VM Backup

On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 06:57:56PM +1000, Martin Rudat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2013-02-25 20:46, Wolfgang Hennerbichler wrote:
> >maybe some of you are interested in this - I'm using a dedicated VM to
> >backup important VMs which have their storage in RBD. This is nothing
> >fancy and not implemented perfectly, but it works. The VM's don't notice
> >that they're backed up, the only requirement is that the filesystem of
> >the VM is directly on the RBD, the script doesn't calculate offsets of
> >partition tables.
> Looking at how you're doing that, if you trust the script to be able
> to create new snapshots; couldn't you do that with less machinery
> involved by installing the ceph binaries on the backup host,
> creating the snapshot and attaching it with rbd, rather than
> attaching it to the VM?

this was written at a time where kernels could not map format 2 rbd images.

> Also; where's the fsck call? You're snapshotting a running system;
> it's almost guaranteed that you've done the snapshot in the middle
> of a batch of writes; then again, it would be cool to be able to ask
> the VM to sync, to capture a consistent filesystem, though.

I use journaling filesystems. The journal is replayed during mount (can be seen in kernel logs) and the FS is therefore considered to be clean.

> I don't know about recent kernels, but older ones could be made to
> crash by boldly mounting a filesystem that hadn't been fscked.

This works for production systems. That's what journals are all about, right?

wogri