Re: Significant slowdown of osds since v0.67 Dumpling

On 08/17/2013 06:13 AM, Oliver Daudey wrote:
Hey all,

This is a copy of Bug #6040 (http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/6040) I
created in the tracker.  Thought I would pass it through the list as
well, to get an idea if anyone else is running into it.  It may only
show under higher loads.  More info about my setup is in the bug-report
above.  Here goes:

I'm running a Ceph-cluster with 3 nodes, each of which runs a mon, osd
and mds. I'm using RBD on this cluster as storage for KVM, CephFS is
unused at this time. While still on v0.61.7 Cuttlefish, I got 70-100
+MB/sec on simple linear writes to a file with `dd' inside a VM on this
cluster under regular load and the osds usually averaged 20-100%
CPU-utilisation in `top'. After the upgrade to Dumpling, CPU-usage for
the osds shot up to 100% to 400% in `top' (multi-core system) and the
speed for my writes with `dd' inside a VM dropped to 20-40MB/sec. Users
complained that disk-access inside the VMs was significantly slower and
the backups of the RBD-store I was running, also got behind quickly.

After downgrading only the osds to v0.61.7 Cuttlefish and leaving the
rest at 0.67 Dumpling, speed and load returned to normal. I have
repeated this performance-hit upon upgrade on a similar test-cluster
under no additional load at all. Although CPU-usage for the osds wasn't
as dramatic during these tests because there was no base-load from other
VMs, I/O-performance dropped significantly after upgrading during these
tests as well, and returned to normal after downgrading the osds.

I'm not sure what to make of it. There are no visible errors in the logs
and everything runs and reports good health, it's just a lot slower,
with a lot more CPU-usage.

Hi Oliver,

If you have access to the perf command on this system, could you try running:

"sudo perf top"

And if that doesn't give you much,

"sudo perf record -g"

then:

"sudo perf report | less"

during the period of high CPU usage? This will give you a call graph. There may be symbols missing, but it might help track down what the OSDs are doing.

Mark

    Regards,

       Oliver