Re: too much spam? RE:URGENT RESPONDS NEEDED FROM YOU PLEASE. @ Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:30am - 10:30am (missjanetyak@xxxxxxxxx)

On 15/08/13 07:58, Wido den Hollander wrote:
On 08/15/2013 04:50 PM, James Harper wrote:
Can anything be done about this spam? Receiving this email from a
semi-trusted source (ceph users) caused my phone to beep in the middle
of the night to remind me about a meeting (accepting meetings from
mailing lists into my calendar is a separate problem I need to
address... stupid MS outlook)

Ack! I had the same, suddenly I got a invite for an event through this
mailinglist.

I don't know how the spam filtering works though for the list. Never saw
this on ceph-devel though.

ceph-devel is maintained by vger and their awesomeness. ceph-users is not.

I wonder if refusing html formatted emails, much like vger does, would help with this at all. Most of the current spam messages appear to come neatly formatted with html, and I suspect not accepting html emails could go a long way in fighting spam -- OTOH, I'm sure lots of people would bump into issues with sending plain-text emails only, and I can also see how that would be a blocker for such a transition.

  -Joao

Wido

Normally I would just rejected spam at SMTP time but the ceph mailing
list server appears to be unhappy with my servers refusal to accept
spam and disables my subscription, so I've had to turn down the
filtering a bit for this address.

Thanks

James

Joao Eduardo Luis