Re: "rbd ls -l" hangs

You'll want to figure out why the cluster isn't healthy to begin with.
Is the incomplete/inactive PG staying constant? Track down which OSDs
it's on and make sure the acting set is the right size, or if you've
somehow lost data on it. I believe the docs have some content on doing
this but I don't have a link handy.

You might also try opening up "ceph -w" in one terminal, running "ceph
osd bench" in another, and then waiting for the results to come back
in via the central log and make sure your OSDs are comparable to each
other. It sort of sounds like you've added a bunch of bad disks to the
cluster which aren't performing and are dragging everything else down
with them.
-Greg