Re: add crush rule in one command

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 7:41 PM, Rongze Zhu <rongze@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Recently, I use puppet to deploy Ceph and integrate Ceph with OpenStack. We
> put computeand storage together in the same cluster. So nova-compute and
> OSDs will be in each server. We will create a local pool for each server,
> and the pool only use the disks of each server. Local pools will be used by
> Nova for root disk and ephemeral disk.

Hmm, this is constraining Ceph quite a lot; I hope you've thought
about what this means in terms of data availability and even
utilization of your storage. :)

> In order to use the local pools, I need add some rules for the local pools
> to ensure the local pools using only local disks. There is only way to add
> rule in ceph:
>
> ceph osd getcrushmap -o crush-map
> crushtool -c crush-map.txt -o new-crush-map
> ceph osd setcrushmap -i new-crush-map
>
> If multiple servers simultaneously set crush map(puppet agent will do that),
> there is the possibility of consistency problems. So if there is an command
> for adding rule, which will be very convenient. Such as:
>
> ceph osd crush add rule -i new-rule-file
>
> Could I add the command into Ceph?

We love contributions to Ceph, and this is an obvious hole in our
atomic CLI-based CRUSH manipulation which a fix would be welcome for.
Please be aware that there was a significant overhaul to the way these
commands are processed internally between Cuttlefish and
Dumpling-to-be that you'll need to deal with if you want to cross that
boundary. I also recommend looking carefully at how we do the
individual pool changes and how we handle whole-map injection to make
sure the interface you use and the places you do data extraction makes
sense. :)
-Greg