Re: ceph & hbase:

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 11:04 PM, Noah Watkins <noah.watkins@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 8:09 AM, ker can <kercan74@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> With ceph is there any way to influence the data block placement for a
>> single file ?
>
> AFAIK, no... But, this is an interesting twist. New files written out
> to HDFS, IIRC, will by default store 1 local and 2 remote copies. This
> is great for MapReduce, as the reducers can avoid an extra remote
> write, and read locality doesn't matter at all--it'll be handled later
> when a map-reduce job runs. For the sake of simplicity, we were
> willing to pass over that optimization and accept the 33% extra remote
> writes.
>
> With HBase exploiting this locality on a long term basis this is a
> different case.
>
> There might be some optimization tricks you could play. For instance,
> a full table compaction followed by an HBase restart should try to
> schedule the region servers where they will achieve the most locality,
> but this obviously doesn't help for new data coming in. A brief look
> at HBase documentation shows a lot knobs related to caching, etc... so
> more tricks might be possible there.
>
> Unfortunately I'm not sure there is a solution to the general problem
> without fundamental changes to cephfs. However, maybe someone else can
> chime in that has more detailed knowledge.

We used to have special "local PGs" which were forced to live on a
specific OSD, but that was a big headache and the feedback we got from
one or two big HDFS users/developers was that the local writes weren't
a win long-term. So it doesn't exist any more. We can play mean tricks
with the "object locator" to force objects to live in the *same* place
(not local, though, unless you've already established that it is) if
there's some way of keeping/generating that locator efficiently.
I'm not familiar with HBase in any meaningful sense though; what is it
taking advantage of that we'd like to mimic?
-Greg